I think that this topic is one that needs to be taught so that we can get out of the vicious cycle, but in the same breath it is very controversial especially for teachers! You can give advice and try to monitor but you dont always know best, or what is going on at home, how many pingas are available to be used at the supermarket.
I do think that the likes of Team Energize at Sport Waikato do a great job at trying to break the cycle and educating children about food and nutrition and how these play a part in how your body operates if you do/don't eat. I saw this first hand in my second practicum with Milly the Energizer who came into my room and talked about the different drinks/breakfast cereals/lunchbox items and whether they are everyday, sometimes or occasional. Alot of the students could relate, and they got really involved in these sessions and we even started a wall to show what they had learned and where the items of food/frink should go.It is sad to see that some kids come to school with having had no breakfast and sometimes no food for throughout the day. I do think that there are different forms of poverty in this country and maybe we should look at helping out in our own backyard before helping third world countries......break the cycle.....
Helpful websites in class:
Healthy Lifestyles
Breakfast-eaters have it better
Feeding our families
Be Healthy Be Active
No comments:
Post a Comment